Avène Thermal Spring Water begins its journey when it falls as rain over the Cevennes Mountains, filtering down through the soil and rocks for over 40 years before bubbling up, pure and clear, to the surface at the Sainte-Odile spring. We direct the water straight from the source to the production plant where the Eau Thermale Avène products are manufactured. The water also goes to the Hydrotherapy Centre to provide care programmes for sensitive skin. Read more about the Hydrotherapy Centre here.
Over 30 years of research has been conducted on the water by the Avène Dermatological Laboratories, as well as numerous pharmacological and clinical studies.
Avène Thermal Spring Water is naturally soothing, anti-irritating and is rich in components particularly recommended for the most sensitive skin.
- Low mineral composition 266 mg/l.
- Calcium/Magnesium bicarbonate profile (ratio Ca/Mg = 2).
- Rich in silica: 10.6 mg/l.
- Very rich in trace elements.
- Neutral pH: 7.5.
Together with the water, Avène Dermatological Laboratories also design formulas and develop innovative techniques to soothe the most sensitive skin. Some of our recent advancements include:
- 1996: Tolérance Extrême, a breakthrough. The very first cosmetic product to be totally sterile and formulated using a minimum number of pure ingredients, packaged in a Class A environment (the highest level in technological requirements).
- 2010: The D.E.F.I. patent. This patent rewards a new closure system for tubes and guarantees total protection. The product remains sterile during the entire time it is used without any preservatives and in any size tube.
- 2014: Diolenyl, a patented active prodrug designed to target p.acnes bacteria without affecting the skin's natural bacterial makeup.